Tuesday 22 November 2016

TYRANNOSAUR SWEDE: Evaluation

DIFFICULTIES
Scene 1:

  • When filming, Mr Burrowes and the tripod were seen through the transparent doors of the school building where we filmed. Also, in some other scenes we filmed I was sometimes oblivious to how the tripod and camera bags were in the background of the shots. 
  • I found it very difficult to film shots from a point which was higher than the tripod's height. Richard (the main character) is very tall and the only way to film him from head to shoulder was to use the camera handheld, therefore the shots were shaky. 
  • There was a lot of noise in the background from school children playing sports on the basketball area so it got in the way and distracted what was going on in the scenes I was filming. Also, sometimes it really overpowered the sound of Richard speaking. I had to adjust the sound levels. It distracted the plot/narrative, making the plot something it isn't. 


Scene 2:

  • I realised after filming all the shots, that some shots were too dark of Richard (he was standing infront of the window in with the light on his back and not his face which was bad because William did have the light on his face because he was facing towards the window. This made me learn that next time I will think about each aspect of lighting and positioning of characters. 
  • Secondly, I did not film all the shots needed, I realised at the end of the editing process that I did not film a shot of Will chasing Richard out of the common room, which was necessary. This helped me learn that next time I should make a proper call sheet and not forget to film anything, that every shot is written down on paper that is needed to be filmed. 

Scene 3:

  • For lighting, I didn't really think about enough or properly, so unfortunately some shots had too dark, too blue (blue tinted) or too bright lighting. This was when I filmed Martina and Richard talking together. Martina was in blue tinted lighting and Richard was in yellow/bright lighting. 
  • I think the final shot of this scene could have been better but there wasn't enough time to work on it even more. 

After this exercise, I learned how to edit a lot better in terms of cutting to different shots in a non-linear way and using continuity editing also. I also thought my filming skills have improved by being able to use the tripod and camera together, making certain angles and filming shots with no shakiness or blurriness. I thought the second scene in the sixth form common room was edited very well compared to the other scenes. I did think the editing process took longer than that of the editing of the 'microdrama' but that's because I learned that, to make the quality better and to make the film look fluent and non-linear you have to spend more time working on the editing, but overall I enjoyed the editing process. 

The equipment used:
Manfroto Tripod
Sony A58 Camera
Amazon tripod

No comments:

Post a Comment